Distance: 142,74 km Time: 7:39 Total distance: 1894 km (If I continue like this, I will be at 2000 tomorrow 😀)
A little report on the breakfast: They kind of have just rice (not fried) with pork with that soup of the pork cooking and some chilli. Served with it, free of charge is a whole can of tea. On the picture there is fried rice, I specifically ordered it, because I try to differ my food. For lunch I am often forced to eat not fried rice as these places are normally not that well equipped…
As the place wasn’t at my guesthouse I went there on my bicycle. When I left they gifted me a little bottle of water😀 (but still they were over changing me for the food)
So I went on my way, 140 km ahead of me to the next town where there are guest houses. The weather was clear. This leads to a problem: it gets really hot…
Eventually some mountains/hills came up😀
As it was a long way and went up a little bit (100 meters 😂) and then again going down and up and down… It lead into long riding as I was slow and I arrived in Stung Treng when it was already dark.
After the bridge, the search for guest houses began. There were some more outside the city but I wanted to get mor into the center. So I followed my GPS to one in the center. It didn’t exist or I was unable to find it… I found another one but this one was to expensive (15 $). The next one could only show me the price of 6 $ but I was unable to ask my primary question “where to store my bike” because of him not speaking english and not understanding my sign language. I continued to find one for 7 $ with hot shower and english speaking guy. My bike should be placed in the inner courtyard, but I was unhappy about it, so I asked to place it inside next to a bicycle which was already placed there. Then the man got angry and shouted at me something with private bicycle, private family room and money. I ended up leaving my bike in the courtyard😂 (unfriendly guy)
Other news from today: My package arrived at home today 😀 After only 13 days. I thought it was lost because the tracking number they gave me wasn’t working… And it wasn’t opened once😀
For tomorrow I have to do another 130 km… That’s the downside of travelling with the bicycle, sometimes you have to travel this much as there is no closer place to stay. No I don’t want to stay somewhere outside because of the mosquitos and wild animals and dogs. After all I don’t have my tent on me anymore. And because I need the whole day for long distances I can’t really visit little cities like the one I am currently in (Stung Treng) which are nice for 2 to 3 hours but not for a whole day which I would have to stay when visiting because it would be too late to start cycling for the next city.
Todays task: sending a package contains my tent, stove, water cleaning system, isolation mat and cooking stuff back home as I will never use it. I will keep back my sleeping bag, as it can be useful when the blanket isn’t that warm☺️
So I informed myself first: price, opening hours, required documents. First I did a copy of my passport as they need one. Then I organized my stuff so that I could send home my front panniers home too as I don’t need them anymore. I packed everything to send in my front panniers and everything to keep in the 3 back panniers. Outside the guest house I just wanted to know how much a taxi would be to get there, because walking half an hour with the panniers isn’t the best method. The taxi drivers I asked all seem to don’t know the official post office, so I decided not to take a taxi but walk. Just out of curiosity I checked out one of the many places, where they offer cargo service. After he got me a price of 8$ I was curious because I know that 10kg cost around 80$ in the post office. Then he told me that it is 8$ per kilo. After weighing my luggage (8,2kg) he tried to calculate the price and always started with 8*8,2+?-x±y=price. You see what I mean, then I went out to go to the real post office.
Arrived there it was 12 o’clock so I had 2 hours left before they close. Yeah you need at least one hour. Here the procedure
- Fill out the form, which is only available in nepaleas language. On the table there was a form taped, where the required filed were explained in english, but still I needed help from a women sitting there (I think she was a post employee). I wrote down sender, receiver and content.
- Bringing the filled out form back to the guy who gave it to me, he checked it and told me which fields were missing, so I filled them too.
- leaving the form there I needed to find a carton box (they had many of them there) were all my stuff would fit in. Eventually I found one with the help of an employee.
- That employee closed the carton with tape and sewed fabric around it.
- On this fabric I then wrote the receiver’s address (my father) and my own name and phone number.
- By another guy the seam got sealed with wax.
- Then I needed to go to one desk who send me back to the first desk to get my form I left there which I needed to pay for (5$).
- Finally somebody behind a counter accepted my package. But again I needed to fill out another form with receiver, sender and content. This form was then taped on my package where the address was already written on😂
- They weight it (9 kg, the carton box and fabric make the difference hopefully). I paid 6135 NRP (52,69€)
- I received a sheet and was told that there is a tracking number on it☺️
20 to 30 days should it take for the package to arrive.
My package is the next to be sealed
As half of the day was already passed I decided not to rent a motorbike today. Instead I visited some more temples and places of worship on foot as yesterday. Originally I wanted to visit 2 places marked on my map but I got stuck in the first place as I had to pay an entrance fee and got a free to pay guide (at the end I could give him whatever I want). So he showed me the temple called Pashupatinath. It’s a place where people are cemented after death. He also explained me a little bit about the hindu religion. After more than 2 hours of going around, seeing fires where bodies were burning, I went back to the hotel as it was already 16:30 and the sun started going down.
So and from now on there will be dead bodies on the pictures!
Tomorrow I will finally rent a motorbike (hopefully) 😂
But first I have to drink rum with my russian roommate in my dorm 😀